Neelkanth Mahadev Lake Trek (4,200 m) is a spiritual high altitude trek in Lahaul & Spiti district of Himachal. Trekatribe offers trekking to this adventurous trek in the month of July-September. This elegant Lake is situated in Tappan Valley of Lahaul. The lake is located at a height of 4,200m (13,777 ft) above mean sea level. Neelkanth is a very long peak in the Himalayan range and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. There is small mountain lake located at its bottom known as Neelkanth lake. There is a small temple of Lord Shiva near this lake. As per local legends, this peak is also known as Neelkanth Kailash. Many devotees from the country come here to take a holy dip in the lake. The Neelkanth Mahadev trek is really an interesting trek with variable terrains throughout.
The trek will commence from Nain gahar, a small hamlet with very few population which is located on the right bank of the glacial water stream flowing from mountains towards the Chandrabhaga river. Then the journey continues towards a beautiful small meadow located just in middle of the trek where we will meet the only people residing at such heights in these mountain ranges – the Shepherds, living along with their flock of sheeps whom they leave free for grazing the whole region throughout the day and the protector of the flock are the alert, curious and courageous mountain shepherd dogs. Then few glacial water streams with freezing cold water have to be crossed and finally, it comes to stiff walk towards the end of the trek. This place is visited by those men who have failed to father a son. Women are prohibited by local people to visit this lake. The water of the Neelkanth lake is crystal clear blue in color. A holy bath in this lake is regarded beneficial both for the mind and the body due to the presence of healing herbs in the water.
Neelkanth Mahadev Lake Map
Day 1 (27 July) – Early morning departure from Manali towards Nain Gahar via Rohtang pass, Keylong, and Thirot (150 km). Briefing about the location, valleys, and peaks around. Dinner and night stay in Nain Gahar.
Manali: Manali is a high-altitude Himalayan resort town in India’s northern Himachal Pradesh state. It has a reputation as a backpacking center and honeymoon destination. Set on the Beas River, it’s a gateway for skiing in the Solang Valley and trekking in Parvati Valley.
Day 2 (28 July)– After breakfast, trek towards the camp 1 (10 km) with lunch en route. Briefing about the location. Bonfire, dinner, and night stay in tents.
Day 3 (29 July)– Early morning trek after the breakfast from the camp 1 towards the lake (5 km). After reaching the lake, briefing about the lake, the Neelkanth peak, the passes and the ranges nearby. After exploring 30 minutes nearby lake, descend back towards the camp 1 (5 km). Dinner and night stay in tents.
Neelkanth Lake: Neelkanth lake is located at the bottom of Neelkanth Kailash Peak in Tappan Valley of Lahaul, Himachal Pradesh. Lake water is crystal clear blue in color with healing properties. Trek to the Lake is really adventurous with variable terrains starting from Nain Gahar till the lake.
Day 4 (30 July)– After breakfast, descend back from camp 1 towards Nain Gahar (10 km) (base) and further drive back to Manali. At Manali, we part ways to meet soon for another trekking adventure. (Night stay in Manali would be arranged if required by you)
Buffer Day- It is important to have an extra day as any bad weather condition or landslides may delay Rohtang Pass crossing. In case another day is utilized, you need to pay ₹ 1800 for buffer day expenses.
Stay – Tents (sharing basis); Sleeping bags and carry mats.
Meals- Vegetarian, Nutritious and Tasty Meals during the Trek with Evening Tea.
- Breakfast on Day 2, 3 and 4
- Lunch on Day 2 and 3
- Dinner on Day 1, 2 and 3
Experienced trek leaders and cook.
Transport from Manali and back to Manali.
First-Aid Kit, Oxygen Cylinder & GST.
- Climbers are reminded that there is a 15 kg limit on personal luggage for all climbs.
- Cameras, whether video or film, needed to be protected against the severe cold either in a warm pouch or the interior pockets of your clothing. Do not keep your camera in your backpack at higher elevations.
- We do not provide donkeys or porters to carry luggage.
- No insurance is provided during the trek.
- When between camps, please carry your daily personal rubbish to the next camp.
- Remember – “Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints”. So, keep the mountains clean and green.
- Aspirins and Paracetamols are highly recommended for headaches and because they also thin the blood that will help improving circulation & oxygen delivery to the body. Strong painkillers are not recommended as they can suppress respiration.
- Personal expense of any kind will not be entertained.
Personal Equipment Required:
- A good sturdy pair of shoes and a backpack with plastic or water-proof lining.
- Comfortable, lightweight clothing.
- Sunglasses or goggles.
- Woollen hat for warmth.
- Pocket knife.
- Scarf or bandana.
- Lip balm.
- Sunscreen Lotion.
- Ear plugs. (Optional)
- Spare contact lenses or glasses.
- Thermal innerwear.
- Extra polythene bags.
- A whistle.
- Reading materials, Games, Cards. (Optional)
- Towel especially lightweight quick-dry type.
- Track pants with more pockets. Carry around 2 pants. Avoid jeans.
- Waterproof jackets and gloves.
- A raincoat since the weather can be unpredictable sometimes.
- Identification proof like Passport, Driving license, Aadhar card etc.
- 1 Passport size photograph.
REFUND & CANCELLATION POLICY
- Cancellation of booking of tour 31 days or more before the date of Departure will result in 20% deduction in the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 21-30 days before the date of Departure will result in 40% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 11-20 days before the date of Departure will result in 60% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 6-10 days before the date of Departure will result in 80% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 1-5 days before the date of Departure will result in 100% deduction of the cost of the tour.