Chandratal lake & Kunzum Pass via Rohtang Pass– Chandratal Lake & Kunzum Pass (4,590 m) is a magical place in Lahaul & Spiti district of Himachal, India. Trekatribe offers camping at this sparkling lake in the month of June-October. Chandratal Lake is situated at a height of 4300 meters, and is a popular destination for trekkers and campers. Boasting of a circumference of about 2.5 km, the deep blue-water of Chandratal Lake is the source of the Chandra river. The Chandratal Lake, once a halting place for traders who went to Spiti and the Kullu valley from Tibet and Ladakh attracts a large number of photographers and adventure lovers. The mountains peaks with snow caps and slopes around the valley rise up to 3000 meters to 6300 meters.
The mountain ranges are called Mulkila and Chandrabhaga which challenge mountaineers. This crystal clear blue water lake lies in a broad grassy plain, which in ancient times was a glacier. The lake got its name because of its crescent shape. The sweet water lake is around 2.5 km wide. The lake is accessible on foot from Batal as well as from Kunzum Pass. During springtime, these meadows are carpeted with hundreds of kinds of wildflowers. Chandratal is an important site for the migratory birds during summer. The wetland had been identified as a wetland of national importance in 2005, due to the presence of rare plants, a variety of animal species and its role in the maintenance of eco biodiversity of the region.
Chandratal Lake & Kunzum Pass Map
Day 1 (8 June)- Early morning drive from Manali to Chandratal lake via Rohtang Pass (3978 m). Briefing about the place and about the view around, bonfire and night stay in tents.
Manali: Manali is a high-altitude Himalayan resort town in India’s northern Himachal Pradesh state. It has a reputation as a backpacking center and honeymoon destination. Set on the Beas River, it’s a gateway for skiing in the Solang Valley and trekking in Parvati Valley.
Day 2 (9 June) – After breakfast, explore and relax around the Chandratal lake and after lunch drive (30 km) to Kunzum Pass, which connects Lahaul and Kullu valley with Spiti Valley. Back to Chandratal for dinner, bonfire and night stay in tents.
Chandratal Lake: Chandratal is situated in the Spiti part of the Lahul and Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh. The name of the lake originates from its crescent shape. It is situated at an altitude of about 4,300 meters in the Himalayas.
Day 3 (10 June) – After breakfast drive back to Manali. At Manali, we part ways to meet soon for another trekking adventure. (Night stay in Manali would be arranged if required by you)
Stay – Tents (sharing basis); Sleeping bags and carry mats.
Meals- Vegetarian Nutritious and Tasty Meals during the Trek with Evening Tea
- Breakfast on Day 2 and 3
- Lunch on Day 2
- Dinner on Day 1 and 2
Experienced trek leaders and cook.
Transport from Manali and back to Manali.
- Climbers are reminded that there is a 15kg limit on personal luggage for all climbs.
- Cameras, whether video or film, needed to be protected against the severe cold either in a warm pouch or the interior pockets of your clothing. Do not keep your camera in your backpack at higher elevations.
- We do not provide donkeys or porters to carry luggage.
- No insurance is provided during the trek.
- When between camps, please carry your daily personal rubbish to the next camp.
- Remember – “Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints”. So, keep the mountains clean and green.
- Aspirins and Paracetamols are highly recommended for headaches and because they also thin the blood that will help improving circulation & oxygen delivery to the body. Strong painkillers are not recommended as they can suppress respiration.
- Personal expense of any kind will not be entertained.
Personal Equipment Required:
- A good sturdy pair of shoes and a backpack with plastic or water-proof lining.
- Comfortable, lightweight clothing.
- Sunglasses or goggles.
- Woolen hat for warmth.
- Pocket knife.
- Scarf or bandana.
- Lip balm.
- Ear plugs. (Optional)
- Spare contact lenses or glasses.
- Thermal innerwear.
- Extra polythene bags.
- A whistle.
- Reading materials, Games, Cards. (Optional)
- Towel especially lightweight quick-dry type.
- Track pants with more pockets. Carry around 2 pants. Avoid jeans.
- Waterproof jackets and gloves.
- A raincoat since the weather can be unpredictable sometimes. (Optional)
- Identification proof like Passport, Driving license, Aadhar card etc.
- 1 Passport size photograph.
REFUND & CANCELLATION POLICY
- Cancellation of booking of tour 31 days or more before the date of Departure will result in 20% deduction in the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 21-30 days before the date of Departure will result in 40% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 11-20 days before the date of Departure will result in 60% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 6-10 days before the date of Departure will result in 80% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 1-5 days before the date of Departure will result in 100% deduction of the cost of the tour.