Route: Delhi – Dharamshala – Kareri Village – Kareri Lake – Delhi
Difficulty Level: Easy
Trek Length: 13km (one-way)
Duration: 2 Nights/ 3 Days
Batch Size– 10
Price inclusive of Camping, Transport, Food & GST.
Kareri Lake Trek – Kareri Lake (also known as Kumarwah Lake) is a high altitude, shallow, freshwater lake located south of the Dhauladhar range in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh. It is a popular trekking destination in the Dhauladhar range. Snow melting from the Dhauladhar range serves as the source of the lake and Nyund stream is the outflow. This lake is located at an altitude of 2950 m above sea level. Since the source is fresh melting snow and the lake is shallow, water visibility is very high and, in most places, the lake bed can be seen. This high altitude lake is the best weekend getaway around Chandigarh and Mcleodganj.
There is a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and Shakti on a hilltop overlooking the lake. It is a 13 km hike from Kareri village to reach this lake. The path will pass through oak, pine and deodar trees. You need to cross bridges and the climb is steep after the mid-way, taking you to the meadows and gaddi (tribal people) temporary kothas, where they live temporary with their sheep and cattle. Kareri village is 30 km drive from Dharamshala city. It is our base campsite and is a beautiful village whose people and earthly architecture might leave an everlasting impression on you.
Kareri Lake Trek can be your passport to the hobby of trekking. It’s a 3 days and 2 nights schedule, starting from Chandigarh. One night at our base camp and another second night by the side of Lake. The lake and its surroundings lay pristine allowing healing from toxic city air and modern schedules. Kareri village and lake will make you feel relaxed and make you fall hopelessly and irretrievably in love with Himachal! Listen to the sound of silence and connect with yourself.
Kareri Lake Trek Map
Day 1 (17 Oct) – We begin our journey in a luxury AC Volvo bus from Delhi to Dharamshala, as we prepare for the adventure that lies ahead of us!
Day 2 (18 Oct)– Upon reaching Dharamshala early in the morning, we take our journey forward and drive the 30 kilometers towards Kareri. At Kareri, we go around exploring the village, learning the simple ways of life here and feast on some delicious home-cooked meals. We finally end the day by retiring to our camps, spending the night under a billion beautiful stars.
Day 3 (19 Oct)– After waking up early and fresh, we finally head towards our destination- Kareri Lake. We trek 13 kilometres uphill with ample rest stops, admiring the different landscapes throughout. We start our trek walking by the Nyund River, chance upon some pristine natural pools, halt at Reoti, a campsite on the way known for its small dhaba run by Hansraj ji and finally witness the sun setting behind the majestic mountains surrounding the lake. We explore the area surrounding the lake, visit the ancient temple and end our hectic but splendid day by a piping hot plate of home cooked food before retiring to our camps.
Day 4 (20 Oct)- We wake up fresh and witness a spectacular sunrise and gorge on some wholesome breakfast before heading downhill towards Kareri village. The hike will be easier and faster today since it will mostly be a decent and in no time we would have reached Kareri, packed into our vehicles and driven back to Dharamshala to catch our evening Volvo bus back to Delhi. This weekend getaway may have been short but will leave us with ample vivid memories that will fill our hearts and warm our souls.
Stay – Camping (sharing basis); Sleeping bags/Blankets.
Meals- Vegetarian Nutritious and Tasty Meals during the Trek with Evening Tea.
Breakfast on Day 3 and 4
Lunch on Day 2 and 3
Dinner on Day 2 and 3
Experienced trek leaders and cook.
Transport from Delhi and back in comfortable Volvo Bus, Internal Transport in local cabs.
- Climbers are reminded that there is a 15kg limit on personal luggage for all climbs.
- Cameras, whether video or film, needed to be protected against the severe cold either in a warm pouch or the interior pockets of your clothing. Do not keep your camera in your backpack at higher elevations.
- We do not provide donkeys or porters to carry luggage.
- No insurance is provided during the trek.
- When between camps, please carry your daily personal rubbish to the next camp.
- Remember – “Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints”. So, keep the mountains clean and green.
- Aspirins and Paracetamols are highly recommended for headaches and because they also thin the blood that will help improving circulation & oxygen delivery to the body. Strong painkillers are not recommended as they can suppress respiration.
- Personal expense of any kind will not be entertained.
Personal Equipment Required:
- A good sturdy pair of shoes and a backpack with plastic or water-proof lining.
- Comfortable, lightweight clothing.
- Sunglasses or goggles.
- Woolen hat for warmth.
- Pocket knife.
- Scarf or bandana.
- Lip balm.
- Ear plugs. (Optional)
- Spare contact lenses or glasses.
- Thermal innerwear.
- Extra polythene bags.
- A whistle.
- Reading materials, Games, Cards. (Optional)
- Towel especially lightweight quick-dry type.
- Track pants with more pockets. Carry around 2 pants. Avoid jeans.
- Waterproof jackets and gloves.
- A raincoat since the weather can be unpredictable sometimes. (Optional)
- Identification proof like Passport, Driving license, Aadhar card etc.
- 1 Passport size photograph.
REFUND & CANCELLATION POLICY
- Cancellation of booking of tour 31 days or more before the date of Departure will result in 20% deduction in the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 21-30 days before the date of Departure will result in 40% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 11-20 days before the date of Departure will result in 60% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 6-10 days before the date of Departure will result in 80% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 1-5 days before the date of Departure will result in 100% deduction of the cost of the tour.