Route: Shimla- Kufri – Kalpa – Nako – Kaza- Hikkim – Komic- Langza – Key – Kibber – Chicham Bridge – Ladarcha – Sangla – Shimla
Tour Type: Road Trip
Highest Altitude: 4,600 m
Total distance covered: 1000 km (approx)
Duration: 6 Nights/ 7 Days
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Winter Spiti Expedition
Spiti has been a dreamland for many travel enthusiasts for a long time now. The moment the news of the opening of Rohtang Pass comes, travellers flock to this barren paradise to feel at home with Spiti’s energies. But what if we told you that this dreamland is no more just a summer destination? What if you could see Spiti in winters, in a completely different picture, far beyond what your imagination can give you?
With snow as deep as your knees and the temperatures dropping well below minus 10 degrees even during the day, Spiti is at its adventurous best during winters. Where no vegetation grows, and the valleys are flanked by tall, naked and barren mountains with snow-capped peaks, where very few vehicles make it because there are no roads, just rubble and boulders, where there is raw beauty wherever you look, this remote valley is a true gem of India, making it the most perfect destination to celebrate the magic of winters! Not for the fainthearted, come join us for an epic adventure in sub-zero temperatures as we traverse through a whitewashed valley while having unforgettable experiences and making new memories across this magnificently barren yet equally enchanting land called Spiti!
Highlights of the Winter Spiti Expedition-
- Visit age-old temples.
- Explore monasteries literally hanging from cliffs.
- Experience Upper Himalayas.
- Experience a raw, white and rugged winter.
- Send a postcard from the highest post office in the world.
- Explore beautiful rustic lands of Kinnaur.
- Snow Hikes.
- Photography Walks.
- Interaction with Monks.
- Local Food & Drinks.
- Stargazing & Bonfire.
- Experiencing Wildlife.
- Community Building.
This is a limited batch Trip, an all-inclusive trip from Shimla to Shimla. If interested do block your seat ASAP! Let’s create magic this February!
Spiti Valley Winter Expedition Road Trip Gallery
Spiti Valley Map
Winter Spiti Expedition
Date : February 17, 2020
Shimla - Kufri - KalpaThis epic Road Trip will start from ISBT Shimla (7 am) in a comfortable Tempo Traveller. Our first stop is the enchanting village of Kalpa, home to the mighty Kinner Kailash Range. via mesmerizing places like Kufri, Theog, Fagu, Narkanda and Rampur. Kalpa is one of the biggest and most beautiful villages in Kinnaur district. It is very famous for its production of high-quality apples, and pinus gerardiana, also known as chilgoza. Kalpa also offers spectacular view early in the morning as the rising sun touches the snowy peak and paints the sky with crimson and golden light. Kalpa is one of the biggest and most beautiful villages in Kinnaur district. It is very famous for its production of high-quality apples, and pinus gerardiana, also known as chilgoza. Kalpa also offers spectacular view early in the morning as the rising sun touches the snowy peak and paints the sky with crimson and golden light.
Date : February 18, 2020
Kalpa – Nako – KazaWe start our morning going around exploring parts of Kalpa and Reckong Peo to enjoy the stunning views of the Kinnaur – Kailash mountains, visit the sacred temples, monasteries and get an insight into the local way of living. From here, we depart for Nako while crossing the treacherous Malling stream. At Nako, the most picturesque hamlet of Kinnaur, we visit the frozen Nako Lake which also serves as an ice skating rink for local villagers! From Nako, we now enter the vast Spiti Valley, while crossing the check post at Sumdo. Our first stop in Spiti is at the village Tabo. At Tabo, we explore the oldest monastery in the world, which is also the favourite of the Dalai Lama. From Tabo, we drive ahead to Kaza, the administrative capital of Spiti District.
Date : February 19, 2020
Acclimatization at KazaThis day at Kaza is a chilled out and relaxed day where we go on short hikes around the town to acclimatize to the weather conditions here as well as learn about the traditional Spitian culture. We also explore the town of Kaza known for its vibrant markets, quaint cafes and a beautiful monastery.
Date : February 20, 2020
Kaza- Hikkim-Komic- Langza- KazaThis day we explore some of the highest inhabited regions of the world. We first visit Hikkim, home of the highest post office in the world. From Hikkim, we proceed to Komic. Komic – which literally translates to ‘eye of a snow cock’. Komic is the highest motorable village in the world at a height of 4,587 meters! After spending some time taking in the beauty of this enchanting village, we head towards the fossil village of Langza, situated at an altitude of 4,400 meters. Once at Langza we can stroll around and visit the ancient Lang which is a 1000 years old temple and spot the marine fossils found here in the sedimentary rocks along with a huge Buddha statue flanked by the mighty Chau Chau Kang Nilda Peak. After a day packed with adventure and exploration, we drive back to Kaza and prepare for the adventures that await the next day.
Date : February 21, 2020
Kaza- Key- Kibber- Chicham Bridge – Ladarcha- KazaAt Kaza, we wake up bright to the sun shining above us and head for our adventures after breakfast. This day we head to Key, known for its magnificent Key Monastery situated at the foot of steep ridges, it is also the Biggest Gelugpa Sect Monastery in Spiti. This monastery is also known to have a training centre for the Lamas. Overlooking the Spiti River, looking down at the valley from any spot of this upland country is a great sight. Spending some time in the peace and quiet of this monastery can really be a soulful experience, something to remember for a lifetime.. We then proceed to visit the famous Chicham Bridge, the highest bridge in Asia and hear stories about the ancient method of using pulley trolleys. Our last stop for the day is the high, remote and offbeat village of Ladarcha. We will return back to Kaza for night stay
Date : February 22, 2020
Kaza-Sangla/KalpaFrom Kaza, begin our journey home and head back to Kalpa or Sangla (according to road conditions) to seek the blessing of Lord Shiva by the Kinner Kailash Peak.
Kalpa/Sangla- ShimlaAt the final leg of our journey, we finally make way back to Shimla with a warm heart full of happy memories.
Buffer DayIt is important to have an extra day as any bad weather condition or landslides may delay your journey. In case another day is utilized, you need to pay ₹ 2000 for buffer day expenses.
- Accommodation in Homestay/ Hotel / Hostel .
- Transportation from Shimla to Shimla in Innova or Tempo Traveller.
- MAP meal plan (6 Breakfast and 6 Dinner).
- Experienced Tour Leader.
- First-Aid Kit/ Oxygen Cylinder.
- Travellers are reminded that there is a 15 kg limit on personal luggage for all trips.
- Cameras, whether video or film, needed to be protected against the severe cold either in a warm pouch or the interior pockets of your clothing. Do not keep your camera in your backpack at higher elevations.
- No insurance is provided during the trip of any kind.
- When you travel, please never litter.
- Remember – “Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints”. So, keep the mountains clean and green.
- Aspirins and Paracetamols are highly recommended for headaches and because they also thin the blood that will help improving circulation & oxygen delivery to the body. Strong painkillers are not recommended as they can suppress respiration.
- Personal expense of any kind will not be entertained.
- Inner Thermals (must-have)
- A fleece jacket or windcheater jacket or windproof jacket to prevent the winds (must have)
- A good sturdy pair of shoes and a backpack with plastic or waterproof lining.
- Woollen socks!
- Heavy woollens 2-3 sets – Sweatshirts, pullovers, warm hoodie.
- Carry a cap and Sunscreen Lotion to protect yourself from direct sunlight as it is too harsh in this region to protect yourself from UV rays.
- Sunglasses to protect your eyes from the hard sun.
- Hand gloves must-have in the months of October to June.
- Wollen Cap (must-have)
- Good Insulated Shoes!
- Lip balm.
- Earplugs. (Optional)
- Spare contact lenses or glasses.
- Towel especially lightweight quick-dry type.
- Reading materials, Games, Cards. (Optional)
- Identification proof like Passport, Driving license, Aadhar card etc.
REFUND & CANCELLATION POLICY
- Cancellation of booking of tour 31 days or more before the date of Departure will result in a 20% deduction in the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 21-30 days before the date of Departure will result in 40% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 11-20 days before the date of Departure will result in 60% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 6-10 days before the date of Departure will result in 80% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Cancellation of booking of tour 1-5 days before the date of Departure will result in a 100% deduction of the cost of the tour.
- Expenses of personal nature
- Expenses raised due to any road blockage or natural calamity